Sunday, November 16, 2008

Technology can be a pain in the buttocks!

So this week we started on our final projects. I was thinking that it would be no problem, piece of cake, lets get the party started! Well I had chosen Publisher to do all the first part of the final in, the flyer, brochure, newsletter and classroom rules. So I did all if them and then I saved them on my USB port and figured I would finish posting them on my UEN site at work. Well, that turned out to be a nightmare! First, they would not transfer because my computer at work did not have Publisher 2007 so they would not open. So I figured I would try Google Documents because that is apparently the magic place that can fix everything. Well it will not support Publisher documents, so at this point I am having a small wig out! I had a co-worker helping me through out all of this and even he being as computer savvy as he is, was at his wits end. So I decide to remake some of the documents in word and transfer them to Google documents because I have to have them saved as a PDF, to make things more complicated! I am not sure what PDF stands for, but I know what the F stood for this day! Well when I transfer them over, it completely changes the format, so I have to try and reformat the whole document in Google. When I get it looking somewhat like the original, I save it as a PDF and it looks so messed up! AAAHHHHH!!!! At this time I have to walk away. So my other co-worker came in and said well if you had a Mac this would be easy! Oh do not even get me started, I hate that Macs and PC's cannot perform the same things. Do they not realize how difficult this makes life for me??? So she tells me to e-mail her the documents that I have made in publisher and it will take her two clicks to make it into a PDF. And you know what it does, 2 clicks and it is a PDF. WTF!!! I am so over it now. I have given up, I do not know what the more simple ways would be to transfer it to a PDF from a word document, but at this point I really do not care! I know I sound bitter and angry at this point, and I am, I really am. If I had 4 people helping me accomplish this I can only imagine how others feel! So if it weren't for the whole PDF thing, this assignment would have been a breeze and I would have really enjoyed it. Because I love working on Publisher and making creative, colorful things, but this may have ruined it for me for a while at least. Give me a few months break and I think I may be able to face the PDF/Publisher thing again, but maybe not I may be ruined for life! Oh and I will never make my students use this, not in 3rd grade and if they are older, I will personally find an easy way to make it happen for them and teach them, rather than let them struggle and get frustrated. I know I can ask for help, but for now I am good!??!

No comments: