Monday, November 17, 2008

History


So tonight I was going through an old recipe book that has all of my Great Grandma and Grandpa's recipes in it. I am looking for a brownie recipe for the Golding family party because there is the best recipe for brownies that My Great Grandma Moon made. Now I remember my Grandma Moon, always had a tissue in her hand and watching Price is Right. I think I was only 5 or 6, but I remember her. As I read some of the stories in this book, I think to myself I never want to forget her. I hear the storied of the good ole times that my grandma Taylor had with her. They lived on a sheep camp in Hanna for most of their lives, they worked so hard. It makes me think how many things we take for granted, they had nothing, but at the same time they had it all. They have so many good stories about playing as a family after all the work was done, the butter frozen on the counter when they woke up in the morning trading food with the Indians, etc. Not yet have I heard one of the kids complain about the way of life they had. Life is too easy now, for example there are 100+ recipes in here. They had to make dinner from scratch, not run to Wendy's or microwave a dinner and they ate it together as a family. Great Grandpa Moon would finish the chores and come in to meet his family for a good home cooked meal, I am not sure if life could get better than that?


As I am starting my family it makes me think that I want these things for my kids. I want them to feel the strong family bond and where they came from. I know growing up my mom did this for us. Growing up on a farm. Playing baseball and using cows or cow pies as bases. Swimming in the horse trough, being able to go outside and hop on a horse and go for ride where ever. We had bummer lambs every spring that we had to feed 6+ times a day. Fighting off stray dogs to save our babies, I remember many times not getting there in time. Breaking the ice off of the troughs and feeding all of the animals in freezing cold temperatures. But it was all so worth it, THANKS MOM! I want my kids to experience this too. I know I am emotional being pregnant and all so as I go through these memories I am balling my eyes out and I do not think it helps I am listening to Alison Krauss. I just love my family and the values it has always had, I hope I can pass it on to our kids. It also helps that Rickey's family has good values too.

No comments: