Thursday, September 25, 2008

Always practice safe internet!

Internet in education is a great thing as long as it is used properly. There are so many good resources and websites out there to help us inform are students better. As long as you know that the information you use is credible. I also think that the internet can help teachers cut down in research time for projects or ideas that they need to cover.
The sites should be evaluated as credible because you do not want to be teaching your students information that is wrong or outdated. So it is very important to do your own type of research on the sites that you are using.
The questions that you should always ask yourself:
1. Is this an educational site?
2. What kind of links are in this site?
3. Does this information pertain to the student's age that I am teaching?
4. How old is the information?
5. Who made the website?
6. How safe is it?
You should always monitor your students while online. Also I think that they should limited to the sites that they an view, the less that they have to view the less chance they have to come across bad things. I know that the students have the internet at home, but I feel that if I teach them the safety of using the web, that they will have a better chance of using it at home as well. I also hope to incorporate the parents in some way, so that they can help moniter the children at home. I think anymore with the way technology is going, that internet safety will now be included in every classrooms safety curriculum.

Kathy Schrock
We were told to Google her name and learn more about her. Her personal website was really good. I love to see her personal info and pictures, it made her a rela person, not just someone online. I also really liked her Blog, she had awesome links to fun stuff on line. For example http://www.dumpr.net/ is a way awesome site, I had so much fun on it. Her website was very easy to navigate around on.

I also found her educational website on the Discovery page. It reminded me of the Pioneer library and Ebsco. It looked to have valuable links that I could trust and use in teaching. I checked out some of the links and all of them had the contents and the right answers to the questions I ask when on a website.

I do not think that I could do her job and have my whole life revolve around technology. She seems to love it, but I could not do all the research and devote my life to that. i am glad that she loves doing it because it is very helpful to her users and saves us so much time! I enjoyed her site and think that she is a very interesting and educated person.

No comments: